The biggest advantage of using resistance bands is that you can use them anywhere. You don’t need a gym, you only need a bit of space to work out in, the band and some motivation to get moving.
Resistance Band Lateral Walk
A resistance band lateral walk is a simple exercise that works well to strengthen the gluteus medius, a muscle on the side of the hip. The weakening of this muscle can cause injury and pain in the knee joint so strengthening it is important for your day to day activities and avoiding general wear and tear in your life.
How To do This exercise:
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart and the band looped around your legs, just above your ankles.
- With your weight evenly distributed across both of your feet, bend your knees slightly into a half squat position, this activates your glutes.
- Move your weight onto your right leg, then with your right foot take a big step out the side.
- Return your right leg to the starting position and you have completed one rep. Do one set on the right leg then move onto your left leg.
Resistance Band Overhead Squat
This exercise is a variation of the classic squat. Not only does this exercise work your glutes and quads, but also helps with balance and strengthening your legs, shoulders and core.
How to Complete This Exercise:
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart. Place your feet in the centre of one side of the resistance band and hold the other end with both hands, keeping your arms relaxed so the band isn’t too tight.
- Stretch your arms out upwards to lift the band up and above your head with your arms separated.
- Perform a squat whilst keeping the band high above your head.
Resistance Band Bent Over Row
This exercise focuses on your arms and shoulders as well as your back. It’s an excellent exercise to start any work-out with as it also helps to stretch and prepare your muscles for more intense exercises.
How to Perform This Exercise:
- Stand in the centre of the resistance band.
- Bend down and forward slightly and grab the resistance band either side of your feet and hold them up just below your knees.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together and lift the band, going up as far as your hips.
- Lower the band back down and repeat.
Seated Resistance Band Abduction
This exercises mainly focuses on strengthening your outer thigh muscles but also works your glutes.
How to Do This Exercise:
- Take a seat and sit with your back straight and your feet flat on the floor.
- Put the resistance band around both of your legs, at the knees.
- Push your knees away from each other and then return them so they are touching, then repeat.
Resistance Band Donkey Kicks
This exercise concentrates hard on your glutes. It’s a tough exercise and you’ll definitely feel the burn but that’s what makes this exercise so effective. The resistance band transforms the regular donkey kick into a butt blasting workout.
How to Complete This Exercise:
- Lower yourself down onto your hands and knees.
- Wrap the resistance band around your thighs.
- Whilst squeezing your glutes, kick your right leg out so it’s straight, tightening the resistance band.
- Hold for a second or two and then return your leg to the starting position.