This lockdown is leaving all of us with plenty of time on our hands, so there is no better time to start getting yourself fit and healthy. Resistance bands are an extremely popular piece of equipment to include in your home workout but you may be wondering what are the best exercises you can do. We’re covering some of the best exercises you can do at home.
What is a Squat?
Squats are great leg exercises to do at home with resistance bands because they’re simple to do but also highly effective at getting your glutes and leg muscles working. So, what is a squat? A squat is a lower body strength exercise that mainly targets your thighs and glutes. They are quite simple to do, so if you are a beginner this will be a perfect exercise to start with. To do a squat, put your feet roughly shoulder-width apart, lower yourself down carefully into the squat position and then return to your starting position and repeat.
How do I start squatting?
Here are a few tips to make sure you’re doing your squat properly to get the most out of the exercise.
- Keep your knees in line with your toes.
- Don’t just bend your knees, move your butt backwards to avoid putting unnecessary weight on your knees.
- Don’t hunch your back- look straight forward and relax your shoulders.
- Keep your heels on the floor and push from your heels as you go up.
Using resistance bands when squatting
Adding in the resistance band to your squat takes your squat to the next level. To use it, simply place the band on your thighs, just above your knees and continue squatting.
What is a Donkey Kick?
A donkey kick is another simple exercise you can easily do at home. They’re true to their name as it's an exercise that mimics a donkey kicking.
Where do I start?
We’ll go step by step how to complete a donkey kick so you can get started.
- Get yourself into the starting position. On all fours, with your hands under your shoulders and your knees the width of your hips apart.
- Tense your core muscles and lift your left leg, keeping your knee bent and your foot flat.
- Use your glute muscle to get your foot facing flat up towards the ceiling.
- Return to your starting position.
- Repeat with your right leg.
Using resistance bands with Donkey Kicks
For the best results we recommend aiming for two sets of 15 to 20 reps on each leg. A good way to incorporate a resistance band into this exercise is to hold the band with both your hands at the front while you’re on all fours and loop the band around the foot of the leg you will be lifting. You won’t need as many reps while you are using the band as it will increase the intensity and you won’t want to overdo it. With the band, complete 10-15 reps on each leg.
What is a Glute Bridge?
A glute bridge is an extremely effective exercise to tone your glutes and hamstrings. A glute bridge will give your glutes more definition, making your butt look firm and toned.
Where do I start?
Here is a step by step guide to doing a glute bridge.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees, making sure you keep your feet flat on the floor, while your arms are flat by your sides.
- Create a straight line with your knees, hips and shoulders by lifting your hips off the ground.
- Hold that position for 3-5 seconds and then ease your hips back down into the starting position.
Using resistance bands with Glute Bridges
It is an easy home exercise to complete and you’ll definitely feel the burn in your glutes. To challenge yourself and push your body, add a resistance band into this exercise. To do this is simple but will give you even better results. Place the band on your thighs just above your knees and do the exercise as instructed.
Get Your Workout Bands Today
Go and buy yourself a resistance band and boost these simple exercises to get yourself muscle strengthening like a pro. We’re sure you won’t regret it when you come out of quarantine in the best shape of your life!