Arms strength and endurance is an important aspect of keeping your body fit and healthy. These exercises are simple to do and you can do them anywhere. They can keep your workouts versatile and give you a nice change if you have never tried them before. Work on your arms to tone and strengthen them well with the following simple but effective exercises.
Seated Bicep Curl
- Bring up a chair, bench, stool or sturdy box to sit on.
- Place the resistance band under your left foot and hold the other end with your opposite hand.
- Your right elbow should be resting on your right thigh, with your arm at around a 90-degree angle.
- Bring your arm up and towards your right shoulder to achieve the curl, then return your hand back down so your arm is back resting at a 90-degree angle to complete 1 rep.
- Execute 10-12 reps on one arm and then switch to your other arm to complete a set. Repeat for 3-4 sets.
This exercise is a very simple one to achieve. A bicep curl is something we’re all familiar with but with the added twist of a resistance band, it makes the exercise all the more effective. With the band adding resistance your muscles will be worked harder. Not only this but when using a band during this exercise, your muscles are engaged throughout the curl, following your natural muscle’s movement.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold the resistance band at opposite ends with each hand.
- Raise your arms up and away from your body, keeping them out straight with your palms facing downwards.
- Separate your arms by pulling your hands apart so they are out straight to the sides of your body, keeping the height of your arms the same throughout.
- Return your arms to the centre in front of your body to complete 1 rep.
- Complete 15-20 reps to achieve a set and execute 3-4 sets.
This exercise is not only effective at toning your arms but also works your chest, shoulders and back which are important but often overlooked areas of the body. The resistance band forces your muscles to tighten and engage the further you pull apart your arms. In doing this, it is able to strengthen your muscles.
- Stand up straight with your feet together.
- With the band stretched across your back, hold each end of the bend in each hand.
- Bend your elbows at around 90 degrees with your hands out to the side of you.
- Push your arms out from your sides so they’re fully extended, squeezing your shoulder blades as you do so.
- Return your arms to the position they were in step 3 to complete 1 rep.
- Perform 15-20 reps to conclude a set and complete 2-3 sets.
Similarly to the pull-apart exercise, this also works your biceps whilst also fully engaging your shoulder and back muscles. As a slightly more difficult exercise, you’ll definitely feel the burn from this.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the resistance band at the opposite end with each hand
- Extend your left arm straight out to the side.
- Your right arm should be bent at around 90 degrees in front of you across your chest.
- Pull the resistance band with your right hand across your chest while your left arm stays straight out to the left.
- Return your arm back to the step 3 position to finish 1 rep.
- Do 10-12 reps on each arm as 1 set and repeat for 3 sets.
This exercise is excellent at targeting your entire arm, as well as engaging the muscles in both your arms at the same time. Your extended arm works to keep the band taut and your bent arm uses your muscles to pull on the resistance of the band. A simple but effective exercise you can do anywhere.
Start Seeing Results
Exercise bands can be extremely beneficial for your arms. The resistance that is added to these exercises will provide you with a sweat-inducing workout to get you seeing results. Strengthening and toning your arms as well as simultaneously working to enhance your back and shoulder strength is an amazing upper body workout. If you haven’t done one of these exercises, try them out! If you have but not with a resistance band, give yourself a challenge and attempt them with a band.